Sunday, 8 September 2013

Cheap Way to Unclog a Drain

My bathroom sink is a real pain and clogs all the time. >.<

I prefer to use things that are safer for my family, so I don't buy harsh chemical products when I can avoid it.

Baking Soda and Vinegar to the rescue! You can use these products in a multitude of ways, but for today's post we are going to unclog that darn drain. lol

Use a plunger to drain the water out of your sink as much as possible, this may take some time, so remember Patience is a Virtue. ;-)  Once your sink is as empty as you can get it, pour some baking soda down the drain, maybe about 1/4 of cup or less. Be sure you have a fan or other ventilation working. Then pour some vinegar down the drain on top of the baking soda, probably about the same amount as the baking soda or a little less.
Then the fun begins and you get to watch the chemical reaction. Lots of bubbles that grow bigger and bigger. Let this do it's business for about 10 minutes or thereabouts. When this time is up put your plug in the drain and fill the water basin with hot water. Remove the plug and see if your drain is totally clear and that the water is emptying out well.

If your drain still isn't clearing properly, repeat the process over again until it is.
This is sooo much cheaper and safer than the store bought drain clearing products. Many years ago, I had a very bad clogged up metal kitchen sink and no word of a lie one of those products ate a hole in the metal sink. I was so glad when I learned of this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment