Friday, 2 August 2013

My First Knit Scarf

Here my son is modelling the first scarf I knit. (He doesn't like to have his picture taken, so I promised him I would just photograph the scarf.)

I did knit a little bit when I was a kid, but I was never any good at it, as I knit too tight. I decided to give knitting a try again, and this time I figured I'd just knit tight if that's how I knit. I am happy with the results.

I did not use a pattern for this at all, just did straight knitting. To be honest, I have a lot of difficulty following knitting patterns, as I have no idea what all the short forms are or what half of the instructions mean. Seriously, don't people realize when they are making a pattern for Beginners, that it needs to be in a language they can understand? I guess not, they just assume that we all know knitting short hand. Good grief.

So, if you are interested in making this extremely easy scarf, here is what I did. These are Canadian instructions, it seems that the needle sizes are different for American and British knitting, so I have no idea what the difference is.

Needles : 4 1/2 mm

Wool: Use whatever you like. (I used Patons Canadiana in Medium Amethyst - Medium 4.)

Cast On: 55 stitches (so it'll be nice and wide :-D -this is important for our cold winters here. I can pull it up over my face and still protect my neck and chest.)

Pattern: Just straight knitting for the whole thing. I used two balls of wool to get a good length, you can make it as long as you like and then stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment