Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Chocolate Mint Cake and Cupcakes


It had been a long, long time, since I had baked a cake and did all the icing and everything. I tend to make muffins and loaves when I bake, but when I saw this recipe online I just had to try it! My son loves chocolate mint flavour, too, so it had to be made.

http://birdonacake.blogspot.ca/2011/11/andes-mint-chocolate-cake-with-ganache.html

Of course her cake looks way better than mine. I'm not sure, but I think there might be a typo for the amount of sugar used - 2 cups- is a ton of sugar. I cut the amount of sugar by half, which by the way you can do in any recipe for baking and it will not effect the results, just lessen the sweetness and using 1 cup of sugar for the cake was still way too much, in my opinion. If you like sweet go for it, but personally I would cut this down to 1/2 cup if I make this again.

I also found the cake had to cook for longer than the recipe called for, so be careful with that, too.

If you have never made a layered cake before, the trick for this is to place the first cake upside down on your plate so that the bottom of the cake is up and you have a flat surface to put the filling on and then place the top layer on normally so the flat bottoms are together and the top of the cake is rounded. Then you can put the icing on all around. 

Instead of making a cake three layers high I chose to make cupcakes out of the rest of the batter. It was tasty despite being very, very sweet. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment